Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Welcoming 2015: It is Just Another Polar Bear Plunge


Arriving in Coney Island.
I think I have jumped into the Atlantic Ocean on New Year's Day or around that date twenty times or perhaps even twenty one times.  This is the first time I actually know that the water temperature was 44F, and the air temperature was 34F during this year's Coney Island Polar Bear Plunge.  Cold is cold, I figured.  


Air temperature in January is usually cold and so is water temperature.
I did it. 

Coney Island boardwalk.

Bundled up; it was extremely windy.

The Coney Island Board Walk - I love how this photo came out.  I had to lie down to take it.  On the left Ben, on the right Royal and Mowgl; I love boardwalks and I am saddened that part of it has been replaced by concrete made resemble wooden boards.   However, efforts have been made to have the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission designate it a historic site and thus protect it.   

Wellness Meal for Christmas
The time leading up to the plunge, I had a bit of sniffles around Christmas, perhaps because I got very wet on Christmas Eve.  I enjoyed my long walk in the park.  
That is why I decided to make a hearty but very healthy vegan dinner (except for the brownies which I bought) on Christmas Day.  
Food is becoming more and more my medicine.  I am aware of the powerful healing properties of ginger, onions, and garlic and courageously sauteed them all together in coconut oil.  It could be used as a mashed potatoes topping or as a hot condiment of sorts.  Another topping consisted of mushrooms (crimini) oregano and sesame oil.  "Tofu cutlets" were sauteed in coconut oil with a bit of maple syrup.  The salad consisted of very finely cut kale and tomatoes.  I forgot what else was in it.  It was a very simple meal, which was exactly what I wanted.  Most guests got second plates which made me very happy as you can imagine and one friend was inspired to give mushrooms another chance.
The highlight for me was the mulled apple cider with cubes of apple and pears, cloves.  I am much into steaming pears and apples these days.  At first I wanted to add some sake and consulted with my "sister Ikuko" but then I decided to leave it virgin (sans alcohol).  Foremost I wanted my guests to enjoy.      

Me and Mushrooms
I have been a friend of mushrooms for a long time.  When I was a child we used to pick them in the Austrian woods; it was great fun and in case it was a good season we even sold them.  
We picked chanterelles and a mushroom called "Herrenpilz", which seems to be porcini (Boletus_edulis).  Chanterelles have a poisonous counterpart, and I remember the very poisonous "Fliegenpilz" (Amanita muscaria), or at least that is what we kids were told.  Fliegenpilz is a big, red mushroom with white dots which we encountered as well in the Styrian woods.    
We mixed the chanterelles in with white rice and herbs for a lovely vegetarian meal we had for dinner.  I think we also made a gravy using heavy cream with it.  I am not sure what we did with the other one.  Perhaps use a batter and fry them.  
One of my aunts, was very adventurous.  She went way beyond the above two mentioned types and dried mushrooms.  Since she lived in Tyrol (2 states west of where I grew up) I have no idea what she did with them.           

The Plunge
As usuall I felt strengthened and elated by the Polar Bear Plunge and the first sunset of the year was breath taking.  Cheers to 2015.


Concrete boardwalk - can you tell?  Sigh!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanterelle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boletus_edulis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria

No comments:

Post a Comment