Pages

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Last Weekend, Early in the Morning, I called 311

Homeless in NYC
Last weekend, early in the morning, I called 311, then 911- as I got a bit impatient.  There was a pile of blankets and I could make out a body underneath on the sidewalk on Broadway, close to Apple Jack Diner.  Of course this is, unfortunately not unusual - wishful thinking - but the temperature that particular morning was below freezing in the 10s.

There were too many recordings (311) and then I numbed my phone by accident and initially did not know how to undo it.  
Anyway, I then decided to call 911 instead for all I knew the person underneath might be suffering from hypothermia, etc. and need an ambulance anyway.  

As I was making the phone call, 

I detected movement and then saw the homeless person's face.  I got a bit nervous thinking he might be angry at me for calling 911.  It is known that many homeless people often prefer streets to shelters; many also have mental challenges.  This was totally unfounded.  He (Ash as I found out) was very mellow.  He wished me a good morning.  I did so, too.  I asked him if he heard what I did.  He nodded.  I told him that cops may show up and that my intentions were good.  It was way too cold for him to be outside.  He nodded understandingly and said  he had to be gone by 10am anyway, when the store opens.  I bought hot coffee for him from the vendor on the corner who thanked me for doing this.  

It is easy to get numb as we rush about.  There are so many homeless people but for my own sake (selfishness can be a good motivator), too, I need to keep acknowledging them: a dollar, a banana, a bagel, some like petting Mowgli (who not too long ago grabbed a slice of pizza from the homeless lady, who thank god said she was done with it, and he could have it).  Ash also told me he preferred hot chocolate.  I have not been in that bloc for a few days but I will remember Ash.  Ash is only one of 60.000 homeless people.  I believe most of us know the homeless people in our neighborhood, the regulars: 

The nice man (from 9the Ave.) who now uses a wheelchair after being on on the street for at least twenty years, he is quickly deteriorating.  Patrick the young vet who likes to draw and gets services at the former Roosevelt Hospital nearby for substance abuse, etc.; no, yoga is not offered there, just talk therapy as far as I know.  The lady who wears the cat make-up; I have been seeing her around for about thirty years.  The hunched over lady we see leaving the park as we walk in.  The pregnant lady whose boyfriend is still married so they can not be together in a shelter, thus they prefer the streets.  The man by the playground who got angry when I offered him change but loves and communicates with dogs.  The very tall man who used to freak out Mowgli when he was a puppy and who throws fits from time to time, but is not around that much any longer.  The man who looks like Jesus whom we come across on the way to MoMA.  He does not even ask for money, but I imagine most regulars in Midtown West know him, and Regal said that he even was on David Letterman.  The young tattooed and pierced man with the pit pull.  The nice older (by the subway entrance) man who likes to read (have not seen him for a while), etc.  And then there is Carlton.  He got past his fears of dogs because of Mowgli and gives him treats he gets from the bank across the street (the one with the green logo; is it TD?).  Carlton has a daughter.  The other guy who looks like Jesus who seems to have a busy social life. 

What does all that have to do with self care?  Every time we help someone in need we connect on a very deep level with someone who is less fortunate.  We give without expectations, but receive at the same time anyway.  Once we remove the decorative outer layers it is all about that.  I made this a conscious practice a few years ago.  I do not want to be a the person who looks the other way.  

There is always something we can do very easily; the minimum is to send "positive energy", an energetic hug of sorts, a smile to break down the barrier if for a second and connect; we do not even have to stop.  But food is often welcome, but sometimes not, a cigarette, coffee, clothes, a blanket, sometimes advise. 

Best wishes and namaste,

Birgit Nagele, ARCB, LVCY, TSY

This may help you to shift from fight/flight to more ease:
- Inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth on a ha sound, and two more times, then return to natural breathing and observe...

- Reflexology(feet/hands/face/DIY/Dogs)
Yoga (Gentle Mat, LV Chair Yoga, TSY)
- Private Clients, Corporate, Events 
- EuNYCe (Educating about Reflexology locally, internationally)
- NYC-based 
Tel: (917) 664-5792

No comments:

Post a Comment