Pages

Friday, June 19, 2015

Hiking with a Twisted Ankle

swollen left outer ankle
I stumbled on a rocky hike upstate during the Easter weekend.  It happened early on when we approached a lake.  Of course I visited the ankle reflex close to the corner of the mouth and on the hands the referral area (the outer wrist) and fortunately, there was no pain after the initial pain alleviated.  

While everyone was chatting away, I mostly kept to myself with the intention to watch literally every step and be with every breath I took so I would not stumble again and it paid off.  Despite this minor inconvenience, I enjoyed being on the trail. 
   
The outside (lateral aspect) ankle was quite swollen for almost two weeks, but it did not interfere with anything I was doing except when sitting cross legged.  And it was quite sensitive when I massaged it.  It got so much better after a warm foot bath with a few drops of lavender intended to bring some TLC to my feet generally after not having had one for a while.  I continued these foot baths for a few days.  One month later I was back to normal.  Doing ankle releases, moving the foot in all directions I think sped up recovery. 

The process if healing never fails to fascinate me and I love the fact that I can help myself (and others) to alleviate pain and to support healing.  The line on the below photo indicates where the pain was felt.  I am almost sure it was the tendon (fibularis peroneus brevis tendon). 

puffy right outer ankle and painful tendon

Sincerely Yours,
BIRGIT NAGELE, ARCB, LVCYT
www.ban-chi.net

No comments:

Post a Comment