Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Mowgli's Crisis: Medical, Homeopathic Treatments, Lavender and Reflexology


herb-stuffed pillow for comfort
Mowgli was diagnosed with Lyme Disease a few weeks ago.

This is how we found out.  One morning he just did not get up despite the fact that he had gotten his dien cham (DC session (it is our morning ritual).  I kept calling him, but he just looked at me.  When I finally pulled him up, I realized he could not stand on the right foot.  Upon touching his ankle, he communicated very clearly that he was in a lot of pain.

  
Later that morning R took him to see our vet.  He was put on anti-inflammatory medication which worked very well.  A day and a half later the inflammation was gone and all seemed back to normal.  He was put on antibiotics for the Lyme Disease virus.

- Many thanks to our neighborhood vet (Dr. Fish), who immediately did a blood test.    

- We also for the first time took him to a holistic vet which was a great experience.  All three of us now take the same homeopathic medication for prevention.  For Mowgli we use a syringe.  Fortunately, he loves it, he loves being taken care of period.  When the vet (Dr. Elliott) heard that I am a reflexologist and that Mowgli receives healing sessions, she also recommended tapping on the thymus gland (located behind the breast bone) which is part of the immune system.  I really should have thought of that myself because it is something that I do too.  Again, Mowgli loves it; he was listening in as I call it, meaning, observing sensations.  Remember, he gets body work all the time.   
She also recommended some yoghurt to counteract the side effect of the antibiotics on the stomach lining.  R was not in favor of giving him dairy, but I think a little bit will not hurt him, and he does love yoghurt.     

- Reflexology (Dien Cham, Paw Reflexology and more) sessions have gotten longer and sometimes he gets short ones twice a day.  

The crisis continues.  I shrieked when I first came across his puffy left ear during our session; it felt like a water balloon.  We were hoping that maybe it was insect bites (we detected a slight rash) in which case it would have gotten better immediately I think.  I gave him a long session and spend some time on the area; he did not seem to be in pain.  The next day it was still there and just as bad, that is when we knew something was up.  Just a while ago I had encountered the same thing for the first time on a dog I knew to have severe allergies.
 
R did some research and came up with an informal diagnosis, an auricular hematoma (see the below links about treatment options) of the ear flap (=pinna).  It made sense.  It is not uncommon although one is not sure about the cause which could be just the shaking or scratching but there could be an underlying cause, such as allergies or ear issues.   
- We went back to see Dr. Fish.  We often just drop by to weigh him and Mowgli gets a lollipop which he is crazy about.  Wolfgang (the assistant) decided to take him to the scale first to calm him down, because Mowgli knew something was up.  He was not at ease, despite me giving him a quickie session when he was hoisted onto the examination table (it was three of us).  Dr. Fish after checking, confirmed that it was a hematoma and drained the blood.  For the second time, he was in pain.  Now he is on more medication, 

Thank god we are at least done with the antibiotics for the Lyme virus.  He also received one of his routine shots.  Afterwards he was spoiled with cookies by everyone. 
- All in all he is doing fine, he is in good spirit.  He swam and ran in the country and did some digging (he does that after swimming), and this morning we did our "morning constitutional" in Central Park.  At the moment it seems like the ear is filling up again, however.        
prior to the Lyme Disease diagnosis, he also developed a hot spot while he was out of town (I think he missed me and the sessions that keep him relaxed); the towel gives him less mobility so he cant lick the wound  
collar of shame-alternative; hanging out with his best friend


 the affected area on the ear is about 11/2 inches long and 3/4 of an inch wide, inner side of the ear (medial)


Researching complementary options, I came across  the following on a blog "Well, I had my Castor oil with a little lavender oil mixed in, remembered it was good for bruises because it dispersed the blood, so we gave that a try.  3 times a day, my husband rubbed his ear with it, rubbing and massaging.  We noticed improvement right away but by the third day, his ear looked completely normal and he was acting completely normal." 

I just decided trying it could not hurt; I used coconut oil and a drop or two of lavender oil.  I put some on my finger and let Mowgli sniff it.   He immediately wanted to lick it, so that was my okay to go ahead.  As soon as I massaged it carefully into his ear he let out a sigh, started the grunting breath (it's Mowgli's way of doing ujjayi (ocean) breath), snuggled into the couch and to top it all of started having hick ups which I thought was interesting.  So I used DC point # 19 (right underneath the nose) to alleviate it and it worked...let's see what happens, going with the flow here, giving him a lot of TLC with reflexology, and whatever else he seems to need and checking in with our vets to keep symptoms under control.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment