Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

With Dental Savasana and Seinfeld: Who Needs Anasthesia?

The affected tooth
A few weeks ago I had an appointment with my dental hygienist.  A week prior to that part of a filling fell out during flossing.  Can't complain about timing!   

"Awwwh, time to relax", I said as I sank into the chair that reminds me of the zero gravity chair/Lafuma Chair often used in Reflexology.



The nice hygienist smiled back but added a sigh.  "I wish I'd hear that more often".  While she got the tools ready, I positioned myself into dental savasana properly, shoulders away from the ears, opening the chest and thus the heart and lungs, checking in on my lower back, walking the feet apart so I had a solid base, nice long breaths; getting ready for a Seinfeld moment or two. 


Afterwards I moved to a different chair for the removal of the remainder of the filling/replacement.  As most of the time, I requested "no anesthesia please".  The new dental assistant said she needed to check with the dentist.  "No worries, she knows me, I can speak to her, no need to make a big deal out of it."  
Part of the filling that fell out


We talked about the request.  My dentist was a bit hesitant this time; a rubber dam and clamp would have to be used, there would be major drilling removing my silver filling and it would get very uncomfortable.  "Yes, thank you, Dr. B. but I have a rather high pain threshold, and I do not mind a bit of pain, remember I am one of those old-fashioned ones...".  I did not bother to remind her again that I am a yogini/reflexologist and am very interested in staying away from anything invasive that can be avoided.  She did say that she had less than a handful of like-minded patients.  I then got a shot of vitamin C with cylantro; it was even creamier than a smoothie and so delicious.  My dentist is a holistic dentist.  Prior to that she gave me a handful of charcoal capsules which keep poisons from being absorbed into the body.    

Yes!!  I mostly know "Seinfeld" from my dentist visits
Then she and the assistant got busy.  It took them about ten minutes to get ready.  There is a new protocol that requires them to wear something that I imagine a mask for asbestos or mold removal looks like so they would not ingest fumes, and she used the rubber  dam and clamp on me as she had mentioned.  I admit I got afraid for one second "what if it hurts more than ever and I'll move", then I returned my focus to being relaxed and Seinfeld for just another second.  During the drilling my job was to pay attention to my breath and become the witness.  At one point I noticed that my left buttock was getting all tense to counteract all the activity on the right side and I unclenched.   However, there was no pain whatsoever and it only took a minute to remove the remainder of the old filling and replace it.  

I reap the awards of my practice constantly, sometimes in tiny ways and sometimes in big ways; either it keeps me grounded or allows me to re-ground more quickly on many levels.  And yes, I still fall apart many times, however I understand whether I fall apart or not, I will need to keep practicing, I have no choice.  
I am patting myself on the back, I am aware I am indulging, but now I am done.    
 
We never arrive with our practice, we always continue.  I often think and have shared out loud that I want to die completely healthy with a smile on my face and I have a good laugh because I know most likely it will not happen perhaps just because I really would love it, but life is full of surprises...why am I speaking about death now?  
Because savasana means corpse pose in Sanskrit and I do associate death with it.  So by all means I often do think of death and that I would like to be able to be able to put myself into savasana and then just transform into a different state.  As I write about it, I realize that savasana is a big topic and that perhaps I have no right to write about it in such a light-hearted matter.  Hm?   

Back to dental matters, I did a bit of research and came across this blog post of someone who had all her silver fillings removed, she describes the dental protocol my dentist spoke about.  

http://www.theprudentwife.com/health/dental-health/88-dental-protocol-when-removing-mercury-fillings

Birgit Nagele, ARCB, LVCHT
Reflexology, LV Chair Yoga, Employee Wellness Online (new
web: http://ban-chi.net/

 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment