Pages

Friday, May 29, 2015

Tick Bite, Now What? - Prevention is Best.

location of bite
 tick found crawling on Mowgli's back after the hike

the bite




Last May, we (R, Mowgli, and I) went for a 3-4 hour hike at Kennedy Park (MA) after my work-stay at Kripalu.  The following morning I discovered a tick on my right shoulder blade while taking a shower.  We made three mistakes:
  • R pulled it off without tweezers - mistake 1.  It is best to use tweezers to make sure the head comes off as well.  Remember ticks suck blood, so they need to latch on tightly.  
  • We did not save the tick - mistake 2; if the tick is saved it can be tested for Lyme Disease or possibly other viruses.  
  • R applied some ointment for disinfection (just in case) when we got home.  That was hours later, however.  I think it would not have hurt to do something immediately.  That was mistake 3.  Honestly, I thought we were done once we got the tick.  However, we were so happy exploring the Berkshires, enjoying spring and hiking.  In the meantime I have done a bit of reading and I know better.  One has to be careful.  Tick bites can result in Lyme Disease which is not so easy to diagnose because there are so many symptoms, and not all doctors are aware of it.  It can start with sniffles, but down the road can result in serious challenges.     
I used tea tree oil 2-3 times as well as lime oil; because I had both oils at home and had done a did a bit of research.   
Fortunately, there were no symptoms (again, the list is long).  I did, however, have light sniffles from time to time; but those may have been due to allergy season, and the weather.  The DC allergy/sniffles protocols have been helpful.  There was no rash (bull's eye) as far as I could tell, and that was the main reason why I did not consult a physician.   

However, I undertook measures to keep my immune system strong and added the protocol to strengthen the immune system on the face, continued my regular yoga/chair yoga, and Chi Gong practice and did my best to not let stress take over. 

A balancing acupuncture session with Sharon Gordon as well as a lovely rose and crystal flavored Reiki session with Eloise De Leon were very helpful and I highly recommend both practitioners. - I have known them for a couple of years and through my work with breast cancer survivors.      
More than anything I was a bit off center from doing online research about Lyme Disease and trying to figure out what or if I needed to do anything.  
The sessions with Sharon and Eloise were very helpful because I was able to share my worries with fellow holistic practitioners and strengthen my immune system.     

I will need to do extensive research about essential oil options, consult a professional as I will continue to spend time in the NY, NJ and PA woods.   
In the meantime, I came across this and consider trying it: Tea Tree Oil as Tick Repellent

Pets, of course, also need to be checked.  A post about Mowgli with respect to Lyme Disease is to follow.  

How to protect yourself
Please, cover up with light clothes so you can better spot ticks.  In addition use repellents (perhaps the one above or others if you like the idea of using oils) when enjoying the outdoors in tick-invested areas and check yourself carefully.    
In case you get bitten by a tick, be mindful about removing it, save it, and then have it tested if necessary.   

We need nature to ground and revitalize ourselves, so we need to learn to deal with this issue as I learned last spring and continue to learn this year.     
Below are two articles I found interesting.  The bottom one lists other helpful links.   

Essential oils are great to get into because there are times when they can replace medication (this is my personal view).  Please, do consult medical doctors and certified holistic practitioners only aside from getting yourself educated through research.           




















2 comments:

Post a Comment