Pages

Monday, March 9, 2015

IN MEMORIAM EVA - YCT Client, YCT Volunteer and Artist


The collage; Mowgli in the background
Eva (fictional name) was a YCT volunteer, YCT client, and artist .

We became friendly the first time we met.  I went to one of her openings and was in one of her workshops. 
She was a visual artist and writer.  All of us had such a good time working on our collages.  Eva liked my piece and said I had to frame it.  She said it more than once.  I still have not done it, but I will.  She set the date for a second work shop, then there was an email from her.  She had to cancel but did not offer an explanation which I thought was unusual.  I asked why she canceled.  She had received another cancer diagnosis and was to start treatments shortly.


collage detail: One of Anna's cranes (see previous post), an Om

During the two stays at the hospital, I visited her a couple of times.  Royal gave me books to take along for her.  She loved to read and wrote poetry.  They had bonded during one of her visits and discussed literature. 

Despite the fact that she was very ill (by diagnosis), she never looked it.  During one visit, I was giving her a session while the chemo was dripping.  The lovely nurse knew about reflexology and the relief it provided.  The session was short and the pressure used was very mild.  Afterwards she ate the soup I had brought her.  
She seemed curious about what was going on in her body and was always optimistic.  She continued to practice yoga as long as she could and told her doctor about it.  She always wanted to know in detail about how I was.  She was very interested in my work both reflexology and yoga.

The last time I saw her, she was in hospice at her home.  She looked great as always, if a bit paler, and she slept on and off. I will always remember that she touched my face.     

She always was very appreciative about my sessions and let me know how she felt afterwards.  Here are some examples:

"Birgit, dear,
It was lovely seeing you yesterday.  Your presentation was great!  I got a lot of guidance and add-on to my practice.
Thank you.
Love and blessings" 

"The treatment was wonderful.  I immediately relaxed and my body and mind were thankfully transported from the discomforts I was experiencing.  You and your work are a gift.
Thank you.
Love,
Eva"
 

And thank you, Eva! 

Many thanks to Paula Tursi of Reflections Yoga and the wonderful stuff whose support was instrumental during the last eighteen months of my volunteer work with YCT (founded by Luana de Angelis, a breast cancer survivor herself). 

http://nysraweb.org/
http://reflectionsyoga.com/ 
http://www.youcanthrive.org/

- I found out about YCT's integrative care for breast cancer survivors through New York State Reflexology Association (NYSRA; see link above).  Many fellow reflexologists (mainly ARCB-certified), such as Ms. Liz (Liz Goodrum), Lynn Levy, and Catherine Stapleton (formerly WRW Committee) have provided relief from side effects caused by invasive breast cancer treatments even before I started in 2009 as well as many acupuncturists, reiki practitioners, nutritionists, massage therapists, administrative staff, and others.     


Sincerely Yours,
BIRGIT NAGELE, ARCB, LVCYT
www.ban-chi.net

No comments:

Post a Comment