Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Pictorial: Visiting Chinatown and MoMA during Lunar Year of the Horse Celebrations

Visiting MoMA the day of the New Lunar Year celebrations..the atrium felt like an art lounge with couch-like furniture to sit on and take in the monumental video installations (
A Crescent Moon greeted me coming out of the subway station over Canal Street the next day- life is perfect so often, isn't
it?  I felt it was perfect that moment.  If I had planned to see the moon over Chinatown, I probably would not have seen it.


post-parade confetti on one stairs leading to a basement business
lucky bamboo...
Lunar Year of the Horse (as seen outside a school on Mott Street I believe)...
The Chinese restaurant I went to closed early that day (the only day of the year they close early one of the friendly employees said)...
Buying some goodies, chatting a bit.. the store owner gave me a good luck charm; because I wanted to pay him for it, he gave me a second; thank you!!!

The day after Chinese New Year's (Lunar Year of the Horse), while walking Mowgli with R. in Central Park in the morning, I was in a playful mood.  Since R. held the dog and both my hands were free, I started doing qi gong exercises while walking (not standing) and I realized that I could do most of my routine that way.  I have not done it since but I will revisit. 

The same day after breakfast, we decided to go to MoMA. 
The atrium had turned into a kind of art lounge.  Sitting on the floor following along the eight screens of Isaac Julien's monumental video installation turning right and left, leaning forward, reminded me a bit of how Lakshmi Voelker "invented Chair Yoga" almost by accident.  Although she was looking for a way to teach yoga to a student who due to MS could not practice yoga on the mat any longer, she had no idea that she would create Chair Yoga if it had not been for her cat who was in the room with her; in other words she was inspired by external forces.  
The mini yoga sequence I did was inspired by external forces as well.  I started with a restorative forward bend.  As some of you know forward bends can be intense.  Personally, I have quite flexible hamstrings, however, wearing a ton of clothes due to the polar vortex, and thus being restricted in the hip area I could not rest my upper body on the thighs and rest there as I felt a need to.  So I wound up doing a less intense variation that led me to add a light and supported stretch of the cervical spine (which I am always in need of) by resting the head on the hands, being mindful about not jamming the back of my neck.  
(By the way the longer you practice yoga on your own the more you will modify asanas to suit your needs that day; no need to stick to a routine.  At least it has never worked for me.   That said you may be different.)  

The next day I went to Chinatown to enjoy the post-parade vibes and to have noodles for good luck.  Lady luna (the moon) greeted me on Canal Street.  I explored the narrow streets south of Canal Street; there was still some confetti, but the crowds, the lion, and dragon dancers were all gone.  I went to Columbus Park.  I have been meaning forever to go there to do my qi gong practice.  That day, I spontaneously did part of my practice.  It was a very special moment.  The moon was still visible.  Teenagers were playing basket ball on the south side of the park; it was getting cold; there was also some card-playing going on at the north side of the park.  I watched for a little while, flashlights were being used; then I headed for dinner; the noodles were delicious.  It all felt very festive; I felt strengthened.  

Birgit Nagele, ARCB, LVCHT
ARCB-nationally certified Reflexologist 
Reflexology, LV Chair Yoga, Employee Wellness Online (new)
Private Clients, Corporate, Mobile Services, Self Care Workshops, Special Events, and Reflexology for the PUPPY
Tel: (917) 664-5792

www.http://ban-chi.net/    

No comments:

Post a Comment