Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Dislocated Shoulder (Part 1) - Agony on Outer Limits


Outer Limits
We decided to take off for Vermont during the Winter Olympics and pictured ourselves watching Olympic coverage at night with the locals.  That did not happen.  NBC's coverage disappointed Vermonters just as much as us.  But never mind!  Primarily, we were there for two days of skiing, fresh Vermont air and change of pace.
It was relatively warm which was nice and different (I always associate Vermont with super cold) and there was more snow than ever.  On the slopes I worked on technique; that keeps me present and safe these days; feeling the wind on my cheeks is great but I want more from skiing, I do it so rarely.  I felt strong!  Before and after skiing mornings I spent time with Mowgli on the Appalachian Trail; despite the new snow, it was hikeable because someone with snowshoes and two dogs had gone up before us.  So Mowgli got to socialize when they were coming down. 
Winter wonder land on the way to Vermont


The second day I will most likely never forget.  As most years, we decided to ski Outer Limits, I think it is the steepest slope in the North East.  R's voice had a bit of a negative tone despite the fact that he suggested it.  "We don't have to do it", I said. But we did.  Off we went. Naturally, I took it easy, safety is priority, I do not consider myself a good mogul skier, and I only ski very little.  Asides, I have too much respect for Outer Limits.  I spotted Royal. He was sitting in the snow, and did not respond to my calls; he obviously had fallen, the skies and poles were above and below him.  Finally he moved his arm and looked in my direction.  I immediately was very happy that I did not see him crash. - He was in agony when he tried to move his arm; he wanted to check if he could make it down, which I thought was a bad idea.  His cries seemed to echo!  

the sound of wind moving the frozen branches freaked Mowgli out
Someone called over from the chairlift. "Yes, please send someone", I did not hesitate; he was still not sure.  I was holding his hand, that was all I could do.  Ten minutes later a young man named Calvin took him downhill in the tobagon after carefully using two blankets and straps to support his arm and making sure that R would be as comfortable as possible on what promised to be a bumpy ride. Then Calvin asked me to take R's poles.  I panicked, but did not dare tell Calvin how I felt.  I was afraid to continue. The snow was heavy and the moguls appeared even huger than before, and R. was injured!

Well, after Calvin took off with Royal, I watched for a while and could not believe what I saw-amazing job!  At least I did not have to worry about them getting down in one piece.  At one point Calvin had to press his entire body uphill against the tobagon; he knew what he was doing and went very slowly.  
Dislocated shoulder and frozen car
And then it was time to deal with my fears or not.  I sat down on my butt and went down halfway; a pair of skies and two pairs of poles in my hands; I did not care what I looked like, I was in full sight of the chair lift and that was the safest way to get down; I was aware I was a bit traumatized and knew I needed to be alright, R. would need me and Mowgli was with us; the conditions were very challenging!  Then somehow I regained some footing (literally) and stood up.  I skied the remainder of the slope; it was doable!  I made it in one piece.  We were done with skiing!  We were taken to a clinic, where R was one of five with an arm in a sling; his shoulder was  dislocated.
sunset on the way home
The staff at the clinic were so nice and helpful.  It took a team of three to undo the dislocation.  I cheered him up with a tootsie roll afterwards. 

More than a month has passed.  He still needs a lot of healing; he has seen an osteopath who referred him to a physical therapist; he gets some mini facial reflexology sessions and has been able to practice his T'ai Chi form;  I taught him some qi gong exercises to promote flow of energy to the area! He gets a little bit impatient from time to time, but I keep telling him to take it easy.  It could have been much worse. 

Birgit Nagele, ARCB, LVCHT
ARCB-nationally certified Reflexologist 
Reflexology, LV Chair Yoga, Employee Wellness Online (new)
Private Clients, Corporate, Mobile Services, Self Care Workshops, Special Events, and Reflexology for the PUPPY
Tel: (917) 664-5792

www.http://ban-chi.net/

   


No comments:

Post a Comment