Pages

Monday, January 20, 2020

Funky Knee: Reflexology as First Aid

(From my draft folder).  During a summer holiday weekend last year, we did some boating with Ember.  It entailed often sitting with my knees splayed out.

I am not very good in getting in and out of vessels, and my buttocks had gotten a bit stiff.  I ran up a small hill with uneven terrain, such as twigs,  rocks, and roots to get my phone to take some photos.  All of a sudden there was this pain on the medial (inner) side of my left knee; wrong step, stiff to begin with, the rushing did it.  It can be that easy to hurt yourself when we rush, can’t it?  I did some

- facial Reflexology and because I wanted quick results I also 
- did some movement targeting circulation in the knee

Well, I do not remember when the pain subsided, but luckily the dual-discipline approach worked well.  Since, I have gone on daily walks, sat in meditation, have done chair yoga, have gotten on the floor with puppy to give her daily Reflexology, worked long hours, and my knee has been back to normal; of course I had other discomfort, but that is outside the qualms of this post. 

However, the big picture is my knees do require mindfulness due to general vulnerability caused by weakness in muscles surrounding, aka my personal story.  There are photos of me hyperextending my knees as a little girl; yoga definitely has been helping me with that.  Foremost because I am more mindful, and reflexology adds to that because I can bring TLC to the knee via foot, hand, face, ear reflexology. 

My view which is based on personal experience foremost is that a full body/mind practice is best; remember everything is connected, but when there is an emergency (that does not require a doctor), I personally do a little targeted something drawing from Reflexology and Yoga mostly and then continue with my usual daily practice which is generally simple no-nonsense and is perfect for the road and has been tested many times. It has been beneficial for me and most of all I know I am doing something for myself which in itself is very empowering and of course it is also deepening my trust in the disciplines I practice/facilitate.

Of course,  I could do so much more, you are not hearing about other ongoing challenges, because that would be way beyond this post.

However, exploring and finding something we love doing  can make our practice more sustainable, aware that everything is in flux and being open to change.  I consider myself lucky to have stumbled into the healing arts.

Again I need to add that emotional and mental well-being have always been more important to me than physical development.  I am not saying that I do not believe body and mind are not connected. They are, of course. Thank you for your visit and for reading.

B. 

Here is an article.  Please, bear in mind that nothing works for all at all times.
https://frogontheface.blogspot.com/2016/03/its-just-too-easy-knee-pain-anyone.html

No comments:

Post a Comment