Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Anemia - Week 16: focus: neck

My right shoulder started feeling heavy once or twice last week while I was sitting at the computer; I stopped immediately knowing what might be next: neck pain.  I rubbed the respective reflex according to the frog on the face projection; the heaviness subsided within a few minutes.  In the past until a few weeks ago, I used to practice headstand, in Sanskrit Sirsasana http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/481.  It had been part of my yoga practice for a long time and I did not attribute it to neck issue.  I had given it a lot of thought and had observed very closely.  I took time setting up the pose, going up and being in the pose, coming down in a very controlled fashion and paid attention to how it felt afterwards.  I always did counter poses.  It never hurt.  My acupuncturist at one point, however, suggested to let go of the pose for a while anyway, so I compromised by cutting down at least.  However, within the last few weeks I decided to drop it completely (I think it was when my inner teacher told me to focus on hip openers).  At this point I am confident that my neck could actually heal completely which is unlike how I felt about it previously.  My neck has been pain free, I think it was a good idea to eliminate the pose for the time being and perhaps reintroduce it slowly down the road.  In addition, I think my alignment generally has improved much and before I got sick, a neck-related protocol was part of my Dien Cham session.  Being mindful about the neck has become of utmost importance to me.  I have come a long way.  To me the neck was somewhat separate from the rest of the spine and I know I am not alone.  Now it is part of the spine and much more integrated in the way I move.  It was probably a combination of factors that resulted in being without any pain for such a long time.    

No comments:

Post a Comment