Pages

Friday, April 11, 2014

10-Mile Walk Along the Hudson River after 2-Mile Walk Earlier that Day


Mowgli enjoying the sun; he was getting tired



The weather last Sunday was perfect for a long walk along the Hudson (from the 50s to Ground Zero; round trip: 10 miles).  I let myself be talked into it.  There were a lot of walkers, bicyclists, kids, and dogs.
  
We stopped very briefly several times to use the bathroom, chat with a friend/colleague we ran into, to give Mowgli some water, and to drop by a dog run.  At about mile 8, my left side started feeling off; foot, knee, hip, buttock. 


After using the overpass across the West Side Highway, I understood. I was not walking "softly enough".  Just imagine switching from thick soles to very thin soles; it takes some time to adjust one's way of walking.  So wearing my very thin-soled sneakers - fascinated by the tabi concept and barefoot walking, I removed the insoles so I could feel the ground with my feet - on a long walk on pavement was not the ideal scenario.  However, like so many times, I underestimated Dien Cham (my Western mind does not want to trust that being well takes relatively little effort, just consistency and mindfulness).  I did not think it would help as it did and I was tired, but I did it anyway.  The healer in me remembered that it only takes a few seconds.  While walking on 46th street past Hudson Terrace and Salvation Army, rubs along the nostrils (hips and buttock reflexes, the outside of the corners of the mouth (knee reflexes), the chin (foot reflexes) worked like a charm.  I am not sure whether I did the ear area with which I personally like to start and end.  Either way, by the time I was home, I was back to normal and ready to have dinner.  I was starving. 

"goose meadow" will soon be used by sunbathers
Mowgli was a trooper; I did a DC session on him during our brief break at the pier.  It was getting chilly, the sun was getting close to setting.  Naturally he was full of energy again and pulled us into our neighborhood pet store where he got some complimentary high-protein treats.  We were even given some to go, doggy bag!  That is how they train their dog clients to return.  Thank you for spoiling them and us.   

pretty moon







After resting on the couch after dinner, both ankles were stiff.  So I did some ankle rotations.  In bed I did the usual breath work; a combo of coherent breath (as taught by Dr. Richard Brown; a few rounds using my beads to keep me from losing focus) and lymphatic breath starting with a ratio of 2/8/4 and working my way up to 8/32/16.
Since the most recent LV Chair Yoga Teacher Training a few weeks ago (Yeah!! More LVCYTs, including a lovely woman from Australia), I got into the habit of five rounds of each and taking 3 normal breaths exhaling through the mouth between sets.  In the morning I woke up with zero soreness, feeling fit and energized!   



No comments:

Post a Comment