Pages

Friday, April 11, 2014

Embracing the Polar Vortex - Getting Fresh Air and Sun

snowy walk
Many people I know were getting sick of the cold weather this winter very quickly.  And at this point I am ready for spring, too.

However, once I embraced the snow and cold weather (polar vortex), I really had a great time.  Layering, of course, was the key; I must have looked 10-20 pounds heavier, but my walk with Mowgli in the morning is very important, and one of my priorities was to not get sick during the winter.  I wanted to get fresh air AND sun and it was easiest to do this in the morning. 



the two pieces that kept me warm
At the beginning of the winter I bought one of these super light down jackets for the trip home to Europe in early December (we missed the first two snow storms); and at the end of last winter I bought a padded skirt on sale. The jacket is perfect to wear either underneath a coat or by itself when it is warmer. The skirt I often wore over jeans to keep my buttocks and thighs warm. Some of my dog-owner lady friends thought it was a great idea, money wisely spent. 

In addition, I at times wore two hats, one super light followed by a heavier one; my face was usually covered by either a neck warmer (what a great invention!!) or one of my own knit scarves and of course I wore gloves. Because I was so cozy, I usually stayed outside for at least an hour on most days.  Aside from walking and watching Mowgli play, I also sat down for some sunshine, sometimes some LV Chair Yoga (LVCY) with a few minutes of meditation. 

I also took a lot of photos some of which I am sharing below. (Thank you for being so patient, Mowgli.)

Because it was so cold, I did the sniffle protocol by default every day, I just added it to the basic session while still in bed.  And of course, the energy giving massage (EGM) which warms up the entire body and face was more important than ever.  I also drank a lot of hot tea (instead of water) using a lot of my own stash of herbs with green teas or white teas.  In addition, because my skin was so dry all winter long, I used oils on the entire body almost every day. 

A few days, out of the blue, I was sneezing non-stop just as I was getting ready to see a new client, I did the sniffle protocol and did not sneeze again all day long, and the protocol takes about thirty seconds.      
Central Park during off-leash hours 
polar bears
sunbathing
so pretty!!!
snow, snow, snow, and Mowgli
winter wonder land
 boots to the rescue (there was more salt than ever on NYC streets; it was brutal!!) 

Valentine's Day 2014


















Hearst Buidling

 romantic Columbus Circle


Birgit Nagele, ARCB, LVCHT
Reflexology, LV Chair Yoga, Employee Wellness Online (new




No comments:

Post a Comment