Pages

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

"Dirty Chunky Three-Potato Mash" (no butter) Happy Holidays 2014 - Remember, RELAX and BREATHE!

Happy Holidays

"Dirty-Chunky 3-Potatoe Mash"
We were invited to my friend's house in Harlem for a potluck-style Thanksgiving dinner. 
In about two hours I did the laundry, grocery shopping, and made the most delicious mashed potatoes I have ever eaten if I may say so.  
I was full of vitality having returned from a trip to Mexico (more about that some other time) the day before.  Here is what I did and I wonder whether others have tackled the challenge of creating a healthier mashed potatoes recipe.  My make-over is called "dirty chunky 3-potatoe mash".

In the morning I woke up knowing that I wanted to use a variety of organic potatoes including traditional white,  red and one Japanese sweet potato which I discovered about a year ago.  
I left all potatoes unpeeled and boiled them together.
The butter was replaced with coconut oil and I hand mashed them to give them more texture (I generally prefer food with texture!) using a little bit of milk and seasoned the mash with just a bit of Himalayan salt (my favorite, it's pink and super healthy) and fresh pepper.  
I added a bit of this year's batch of PA home-grown herbs before serving as well as a bit of Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil (thank you again, Stefan) for extra flavor (truffle oil or any kind of oil or none at all would work as well).  The herbs were dried; thyme was used on on one bowl and sage on the other bowl.  I used them sparingly because I was uncertain what my "fellow feasters" thought of herbs to begin with and I dig them so I use loads instead of pinches.  One of my friends thought that was very considerate.  I also brought along fresh parsley.  There were no left overs.  In case you want to give it a try, have fun!  Thank you for taking these photos, Dimitris.    

Final touch, adding the oil.


Annual Winter's Eve Celebration on Broadway

We made it to this seasonal event between 58th and 64th streets.  It was a chance to see our friend Sasha (Hungry March Band) perform, to wish her happy holidays and to enjoy some holiday cheer early in the season.  I am generally not a friend of Christmas because it is so commercialized, but I like being outdoors, the arts, music and I am always drawn to these magical New York City streets.  I am sharing some of my photos below.

If I ever were to have a favorite Santa, it would be him; Santa on stilts (circus training), Santa Clown perhaps.
Not all Santas are smiley and friendly... he was...
No snow yet, but there was an ice carved nutcracker outside of Time Warner; unfortunately I missed the actual carving.
The Hungry March Band kicks butt as always.  (Sasha is the lady with the white top; she plays the saxophone); chances are you have seen them perform somewhere; if not, google them... they are Brooklyn-based band; they are so much fun....
 
May your holiday season be filled with health, happiness and time for wellness activities! 


BIRGIT
Reflexology/LVCYT (Chair Yoga)
(917) 664-5792
www.ban-chi.net


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment