Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Sweet Gum Tree Produces DIY Reflexology Tool

Spike Ball 
The discovery took place during an evening of Indian music and dance in June at Hudson River and 96th street.

It could not have been more romantic: after almost falling after stepping on one of many on the lawn and collecting them so we could spread out our sheet, I inspected one further, and started playing around with it; the sun was getting close to setting.
While these spike balls look almost cactus-like (ouch) it feels very exquisite to roll the ball around (reflexing the hands) by holding one gently in between the hands.

 The spikes break off quickly, and more pressure can be used, and it still feels divine.  I have given myself many a sessions in the meantime and brought some home.  I even did a video.  It was lots of fun to edit it on my iPhone.  For some reason the sound quality changed after uploading as iMovie but I hope to correct this in the near future, although secretly I hope that it'll correct itself:-) - yeah right?! 

Doing a bit of research I found myself getting more and more intrigued: Botanically the Sweet Gum is Liquidambar styraciflua. (lick-wid-AM-bar  sty-rass-ih-FLOO-uh.) Liquidus is Latin for liquid. Ambar is Arabic for amber (the color of the dried sap.) Styrax is Latin for gum, fluxus for flowing. Liquidambar styraciflua: Liquid Amber Gum Flowing.  The sap is also available at the pharmacy as an ingredient in the “compound tincture of benzoin.”  Here is more information.

Using a spike ball for DIY feels very different compared to a golf ball or a walnut (see photo), although they all do the job.  Note, they all are similar in size.  Naturally, walnuts (thank you again Maeda!) and spike balls are nature's product while golf balls (thank you Kevin Kunz) are not.  However, the golf balls I bought a few years ago were recycled which was pretty amazing considering I bought them at huge chain store.  While I am not sure whether there are sweet gum trees in your area, the message is:  consider using tools you come across in nature or check your house for suitable tools if you wish, and then, of course there are your fingers and knuckles.  As far as I am concerned, the more fun I make self care, the more I maintain it, but you may be different.  Ultimately, it's suum cuique, to each it's own.  Enjoy. Blessings, Birgit 
Spike Ball, Golf Ball, Walnut 


No comments:

Post a Comment