Pages

Monday, April 17, 2017

India Part Six: Yess! Chai, Chai, Chaia at Agra Cantt

First chai (always served steaming hot)

My buddy did pretty much all the navigation as he arrived the previous day and knew his way around a bit already around downtown Delhi.

Agra, the Taj Mahal was next.  It took a while to get tickets.  And yes, we knew it was best to get them online 
and way in advance, but to do it onsite was more adventurous:  It was crazily hectic and there was no line but a funnel at the windows. 

Luckily Arve remembered the National Tourist Office.  We followed their advise and got tickets after filling out a form at a different place and they also recommended a restaurant nearby.  Yum first meal after getting tickets.  I think I ordered Aloo Gobi Matar (a curry dish with potatoes, cauliflower and green peas), my favorite Indian dish. 

The walk involved was somewhat intense especially considering the jet leg, and my backpack getting heavier and heavier.  A tuktuk driver was very persistent.  There were missing sidewalks, puddles, sidewalk vending.

I do not remember seeing traffic lights that first evening. Perhaps it was the jet leg.  Tuktuks (motorized rickshaws) seemed to be moving in zigzag.  To cross the street you just walk into traffic.  It was thrilling at first (the adrenal rush of being in India!!!) but as I got more and more tired I lost courage.  Luckily someone walked me across the street after watching me for a while.  Thank you, stranger!  

On the train we shared a sleeper car with two very nice guys we chatted with a bit.  I had the best nap ever, legs draped over my backpack and was already looking forward to more train rides and similar naps.    

Arrived at Agra at 1 or 2am and hung out at the trains station like so many, young and old, lots of families; people sleeping on the platforms on spread out blankets and covered with another blanket.  More beautiful dogs, home made sanitizer always in reach so I could do a reflex or two on one or the other. - When invited to pet, may as well reflex has definitely become my motto. 

Discovered a "retirement room" during a little walk around the platform.  I remembered reading about them.  At about 4 am a chai vendor came around: "Chai, chai, chai, chaia" and I had the first of many throughout my stay at ten rupees (missing chai a lot).  My friend Judy's advise was to make sure to get chai outside the ashram.  Thank you, Judy, great advise!  The fact that it is served steaming hot in tiny paper cups and challenging to not burn your fingers makes it even more special.  So yummy and exactly what I needed.  After the second one I felt strengthened and awake.  It was almost time to take a tuktuk (first time for me) and leave for the Taj Mahal.  We wanted to be there at sunrise to avoid the crowds.  

To follow: India Part Seven: Arriving at Taj Mahal at Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment