Pages

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

India Part Eight: Hunched over from Agra to Jodhpur or was it Jaipur?

 One way to get to your seat!🌹
We asked a tuktuk driver in Agra to take us to a restaurant.  There was nothing where we were after leaving Taj.  He delivered.  We had a nice meal, then we took another tuktuk.  

The idea was to find a park to take a nap, to recharge batteries before we got on a train again.  I had nice nap number 2 at a park outside the fort in Agra
where we ended up hanging out with monkeys, waiting for the train to Jaipur (or Jodhpur; constantly confusing the two).  There were more and more monkeys and Arve was feeding them apples.  I was wondering what the locals were thinking of us.  I believe monkeys are revered because of Hanuman, the monkey god (strength, and power) at least in some areas.  
  
Then came a very interesting train ride, very different from the first one and we got to witness the equanimity and kindness of Indians.  

We spent at least six hours on a very crowded triple sleeper train without proper seats or being able to lie down.  There were people everywhere.  However, the kindness of strangers, accepting the circumstances, made it bearable (remember I am from the West) and memorable.
After everybody had finally settled (many sharing their bench with others), we were offered the corner of a bench so we could sit,  but to do so we had to flex the torso.  

Many of us hunch at least a little most of the time (rushing, computers, and being in our heads does that) but if you have to hunch over because there is so little space between you and the sleeper above, the way we had to, it quickly becomes painful.

So I hinged at the hips (think forward bend) and I draped my torso over my backpack (think supported forward bend).  This is often how I sleep on planes, practice makes perfect, I suppose.  And that is why practicing yoga is so important; it affects our life in so many ways positively.  
  
This is the selfie (or possibly time lapse) I regret not having taken; a selfie in the very crowded train when passengers were inch worming towards their seats, family, friends, etc., others finding space for their luggage, and those who did not have reserved seats (like us) watching every move hoping for a miracle, a seat that is.  

Before we got our seats I for quite some time was standing right next to a very much frequented bathroom, a swami curled up in fetus position and covered with his shawl behind me.  A young man in contortion to be more comfortable in the stairwell.  Every time someone went to the bathroom, they had to be extremely careful not to step on anyone or anything.  Extremely memorable and very different from the comfort of our previous train ride, but appreciative of the experience of being the only Westerners around, and yes, the ticket was just a few dollars.  And yes, I think I would do it again.  

I remembered my early days in New York (I grew up far away from crowded subways) when at least once on my way to work I got sick on they R train to Manhattan.  What did I do?  I got off and headed back home.  I quickly understood, however that if I just relaxed (focus on the breath) in crowds, I would be fine under circumstances that are a bit challenging, like crowds, excessive heat, etc.
  
Best wishes and namaste.
Om Shanti (peace).
B. 
This may help you to shift from fight/flight to more ease:
- Inhale through the nose and exhale through the mouth on a ha sound, and two more times, then return to natural breathing and observe...

Birgit Nagele, ARCB, LVCY, TSY
- Reflexology(feet/hands/face/DIY/Dogs)
Yoga (Gentle Mat, LV Chair Yoga, TSY)
- Private Clients, Corporate, Events 
- EuNYCe (Educating about Reflexology locally, internationally)
- NYC-based 
Tel: (917) 664-5792

Monkeys at Agra Fort

No comments:

Post a Comment